During the March session of the French Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres, Professor Michał Gawlikowski was elected as a foreign member of this distinguished scientific society.
The Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres is a scientific society founded in 1663. Its members engage in historical, archaeological and linguistic research. It is one of five academic societies that are part of the Institut de France (French Institute). Its membership includes 55 academics of French nationality and 40 international members of other nationalities, as well as 50 French and 40 foreign corresponding members.
Prof. Michał Gawlikowski, archaeologist and epigrapher, former director of the Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology at the University of Warsaw and long-time director of the PCMA UW expedition to Palmyra, has been a foreign corresponding member of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres since 2004. Prof. Gawlikowski is currently the only Polish member of this elite society.